Monday, April 20, 2009

Weekend Update with Norm....

Okay so no Norm McDonald and this isn't really a funny update anyway.

Saturday morning started for me at 3:45am with the alarm ringing. I am so not a morning person and the wee hours are the worst but I get up and get in the shower and start to feel somewhat human again. I get dressed, get the hair some what presentable and throw my contacts and makeup in my purse for later. The animals get fed, the dog is out for the day in his kennel and I'm only 5 minutes late picking up my dad who will drive my car back home from the airport.

Get to the airport with 30 minutes to wait before we start boarding the plane - it's Southwest and I'm in the B group so no real hurry there - I head to McDonald's for some good greasy food to wake me up even more. Sausage Egg & Cheese McGriddle with a hash brown and a diet coke - probably the worst possible breakfast but hey at least I'm not hungry anymore and there really aren't any other choices in Albany Airport at 5:45am.

Flight #1 takes off - uneventful ride to Baltimore, I get some sleep on the journey but not much. We arrive early so my 1 hour layover becomes 1 hour and 10 minutes. I find a bathroom and put in the contacts, put on the make-up to look somewhat human. It's been 2.5 hours since the McD's greasefest and I'm bored so why not get a bagel and cream cheese? I mean really, why not? LOL It wasn't worth eating so after a few bites I gave up.

Flight #2 takes off - very short ride to Pittsburgh, I was in the A group for boarding here and sat in the very front row. We landed early and I rushed off the plane and to the baggage claim area to find my husband and his aunt (not the one who ratted me out to MIL) waiting. It's 10am now.

We drive the hour and 20 minutes back to Small Town, USA and I plan to just drop off the aunt and hit the road but they HAVE to feed us lunch before we go HAVE TO. I don't argue, it's just not worth it and we do have to eat. Say goodbye to the aunt who drove him to airport, and also go to say goodbye to other aunt and uncle who are strangely cold to me. So we finally got on the road about 12:30.

Drive, Drive, Drive, Drive. Hubby says he was surprised at how cold his aunt and uncle seemed to me. I keep quiet. Then he mentions how his mom called him on Friday and gushed about how much she loved her DIL (me) . I can't hold back anymore and ask him WHEN did his mom call him? It was after she called me. I told him why aunt M and uncle A were being cold. I told him that his mom had called and yelled at me and then told me NOT to tell him. I told him I didn't want to keep secrets from him (although I totally do keep some secrets just not this one). He was angry that his mom yelled at me and angry that she seems to think he isn't capable of doing anything on his own.

We arrived home around 8pm on Saturday.

My assessment? The old folks in Small Town, USA over-reacted. Hubby was tired out and walking worse than usual BUT it's not an MS attack and he is already rebounding. All he needed was to sit down for awhile and rest. If he'd spent a day doing nothing but resting he'd have been fine to drive himself home. He's fine today. On Sunday he put the batteries back in the riding mowers and got them started after sitting all winter. He is not any worse than last Sunday before he left.

All is normal in my world. The thing with my MIL will blow over I'm sure, I won't mention it again. The thing with the aunt and uncle, well if they continue to hold this against me it only hurts them, I couldn't care less.

So back to work - another week.


remember moments said...

That sounds like it was a very frustrating situation. Glad things are back to normal. Hopefully MIL realizes her error.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

You're a better woman than I am. Damn. I really hope you get to relax a little.
I have to say, I admire you tremendously. Really.

Anonymous said...

Well, at least hubby is doing well. That's the most important thing. *sigh*


Tricia said...

Yes hubby is doing well AND absence really does make the heart grow fonder! LOL

Debbie said...

Glad everything turned out ok. It's good that you told him what you needed to. I hate being stuck in the middle keeping secrets like that.