Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hopeful in some ways - but SAD overall...

The VA Disability Application is proceeding - I have spent the last few weeks gathering medical records from the far corners of the earth it seems. The VA could make a decision within the next 30-60 days, hopefully that decision will be one that makes us happy.

I'm sad though because reading through the records we've received is disheartening. Pete's MRI's show extensive scar tissue, lots of lesions, black holes in his brain (sounds super scary) and brain atrophy. The doctor's comments say that he does not believe that he is showing signs of dementia but holy jesus I sure do.

"Dementia is characterized by a progressive impairment of memory and intellectual function that is severe enough to interfere with social and work skills. Memory, orientation, abstraction, ability to learn, visual-spatial perception, and higher executive functions such as planning, organizing, and sequencing may also be impaired."
(Source)

This describes EXACTLY what is happening from my point of view: "progressive impairment of memory and intellectual function that is severe enough to interfere with social and work skills" and it makes my heart hurt to think about it too much.

The good news - the doctor's reports should concur with our opinion that Pete is no longer employable.
The bad news - my husband is slowly slipping away from me and it looks like he's not coming back. :(

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Not sure if it helps but I'm crossing my fingers for you girl!

Anonymous said...

Hang in there.

xoxo

JW.BW said...

I hope it all works out for you. I will be thinking of you and your husband.

Meghan said...

Unemployment dreams, YES! I have them too now. I can't recall the exact specifics, but I believe if we get fired before a certain date next year, we'd get 33 weeks plus an extra 13 due to the stimulus package, and then Cobra is only 35% of the usual cost for awhile - something like that. Now that I've dialed back my required bills, unemployment along with savings (and some significant extra scrimping) would have me supported for 2-3 years! LOL I don't think I will ever get fired though, I've gotten two raises in the last six months, and to deliberately set out to be fired would be painful for me in that we have non-stop hair on fire deadlines. In any case, much like you, I've never once fantasized about it before in my life, but I'm at a stage (mid-life crisis?) where I do now. Anyway, I do very much hope that the benefits for Pete come through for you and quickly! If it's as much as you thought, it is MORE than your turn to take a long sabbatical! I am very sorry that you are seeing him decline though, hopefully that new medicine will help more in time!