Wednesday, September 14, 2011

So I blacked out the other day..

Was in a doctor's office when it happened, not my doctor. My MIL's doctor. Not sure why or what happened but was standing near my MIL as he was asking her questions and checking her when I started to feel funny, then dizzy and then I decided I had to sit down and the floor was my only option so I sat.

At this point the doctor notices and asks if I'm okay I say I feel dizzy and just need to sit. Then I'm feeling queasy and both hot and cold and the black starts to creep in from the edges. I am seeing in a small tunnel in front of me and sounds are muffled and then black until something horrible is shoved under my nose (ammonia) and I start to come back out of it.

No idea why this happened. My MIL said I was white as a sheet. Her doctor had me lay back and put a cold wet cloth on my head. Within 5 minutes I was fine.

The thing I find odd is I passed out in a doctor's office and they didn't do a damn thing about finding out why? Didn't take my blood pressure or listen to my heart. Asked if I had eaten (I had) and didn't take a blood sugar to see what caused it. Now granted I was not his patient and not there to see him but don't you think he should have done more? I would have gladly turned over my insurance card if he wanted to bill it.

At the time I didn't think about it much but my sister was incensed that they did nothing to figure out why I just keeled over like that.

Anyway I see my own doctor in a week and a half for a regular appt. Will be getting bloodwork done next week first. Will be sure to mention it to her and nothing has happened like that since.

Right before it happened my MIL had been showing her doctor a sore on her leg that was about the size of a quarter and all black and blue. I am not at all uneasy about stuff like that. I had seen the same sore earlier that day when she changed the bandage. I have seen MUCH worse things. Blood does not gross me out. I think her doctor did not believe me and figured I just passed out at the sight of blood. It definitely was NOT that.

Oh well - no problems since and felt fine to drive my MIL back home after the appt. Very strange feeling though.

2 comments:

Shieldmaiden96 said...

I'm very surprised they didn't call an ambulance for you-- we go to the local med center all the time. If someone has a syncopal episode, we go.

Tricia said...

My sister figured the least they should have done was taken my blood pressure and blood sugar. Nope I got smelly stuff and a wet paper towel and sent on my way. My MIL did insist on buying me a regular soda before we left in case I needed some sugar.