Saturday, February 2, 2008

Truly, madly, deeply...

February - that month that conjures up visions of hearts and roses, cupids and true love. A friend blogged about spending her day watching love stories and crying all afternoon. I watched this short clip of the movie "The Notebook" and started tearing up myself for the few minutes I watched it.



I wonder if anyone really has this kind of love, the kind that the movies make us aspire to, the ones that make us feel like we may never have enough. Too bad the movies don't show us what it's like 10 years later with 2 kids and 2 careers and bills and the stresses of day to day life.

I love my husband. But some days I am not in love with him. We have been together for 10 years, in that time we have fallen in love twice I think. The first time was deep and intense and passionate. The second time was just over 3 years ago we just went through this very intense period of re-discovery. We spent more time together, we talked more and were more affectionate than we had been for awhile. We are due for a falling in love all over again right now. I sometimes wonder if that is normal. It works for me if things keep cycling like that, but even at our most intense times, it's never been like a movie love story. I told my single friend that I don't know anyone who has that kind of love, I'm not sure it really exists.

3 comments:

Maxie said...

I don't think there are many marriages like The Notebook. One of my best friends has been married for maybe 4 years and they are the happiest couple I've ever seen, but even they have their ups and downs.

But stuff like the notebook- Like one in a million chance of it happening.

Jennifer McKenzie said...

Love isn't really like the movies.
It's more like this.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=noK3TorC9Xc&feature=related

I'm very happily married, but I don't expect the Hollywood version of love and marriage.

Tricia said...

Oh I don't expect the Hollywood version either - but when I see it sometimes it does make me long for it and the thing is I don't think it exists. So I'm wishing on a star really. But that song is reality of what marriage is like for sure! LOL