Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Last night...

I woke up this morning exhausted. I feel like I didn't sleep at all last night - and really if you count all the work I did in my dreams I didn't. Last night's dream was odd - it was about a job I had 3 years ago for 5 months. I was the Food Services Manager for "Crappy Hole in the Ground" Caverns (name changed to protect the not so innocent) - a tourist attraction of sorts near where I live.

This position required that I manage two "supervisors" one in charge of the snack bar - a super nice lady with no backbone who probably shouldn't have been a supervisor. So for her I had to manage everything including forcing her to get out schedules for the 8 or so high school kids who worked for her during the summers. Forcing her to add new items to the menu, and make signs letting guests know we had these items.

The second person I had to manage was the kitchen supervisor, but she insisted on calling herself "The Executive Chef" (she was a professor of culinary arts at a local university) which was hilarious considering we served burgers & fries, fish and chicken sandwiches, and deli sandwiches - I mean who needs a "chef" for that. Boy did she ever think she was far more qualified for my job than I was and it pissed her off that I was her boss to no end. She even went through my brief case on pay day to look at my check so she could be pissed that I made so much more money than she did too. She told me that I had left my check on the desk and she saw it but I was very careful not to do that so she had to have gone through my bag.

In addition to helpless supervisor and bitchy "chef" I was directly in charge of approx 20 college students who worked there during their summer break. On any given day 1/2 to 3/4 of my staff showed up for work still drunk from the night before and 1/4 of them didn't show up at all! It was so much fun trying to keep that place running.

So all this to lead up to last night - I had been talking about bitchy chef to my sister yesterday and apparently that put the idea in my head. So I dreamed about being back there. The dining room was full, the a/c was broken, the kitchen staff was missing so as the manager I was trying to cook it all and I have never been a cook in a restaurant but I'm thinking how hard can it be to make a few hamburgers right? So I'm grilling, I'm frying, I'm making sandwiches, I'm flying around back there being super COOK! I was keeping up, I was doing great, but apparently I was not resting because this morning I woke up feeling like I had been running a 7 person kitchen all by myself all night. *sigh* I almost fell asleep several times on my way to work.

No comments: