My first question was WTF is a meme? So I turned to Wikipedia for answers and here is what it says:
A meme (pronounced /miːm/), as defined by memetic theory, constitutes a theoretical unit of cultural information, the building block of culture or cultural evolution which spreads through diffusion propagating from one mind to another analogously to the way in which a gene propagates from one organism to another as a unit of genetic information and of biological evolution. Multiple memes may propagate as cooperative groups called memeplexes (meme complexes).
Okay now I'm even more confused and still have no idea what a meme is but I'll play along anyway.
The rules for this particular meme?
- Link to the person who tagged you.
- Post the rules on your blog.
- Share six (6) non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself.
- Tag at least 3 people at the end of your post and link to their blogs.
- Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
- The name of my blog is Middle Age Mania - but I don't really feel middle aged (although at 37 and a half and knowing the average life span of adults in my family I probably am somewhere near that midpoint) Most days I feel like a scared child playing grown up. I often wonder if there will ever come a day that I don't feel like that. Case in point - when anyone in a position of authority over me asks to see me for a minute in their office my heart stops for a second then drops right into the pit of my stomach where the butterfly's start beating the crap out of it. Has anyone ever called me into their office to tell me what a useless lump I am and what a lousy job I'm doing? Nope - not once in all the years I've been working, and yet I feel like a naughty child summoned to the principals office for a spanking (yes when I was in elementary school they still did that and it happened to me A LOT).
- I'm not really sure it's a strange habit or not but my husband adores making fun of me because I insist that the closet doors be closed before I can go to bed at night. I also insist on the sheets being neatly tucked in at the bottom and sides and not bunched up anywhere. I will remake the bed with him in it if it doesn't meet my standards.
- I judge dairy goats - yes me - former city dweller - business woman with an MBA - me. I spend several weekends from May to October traveling all over the country to judge dairy goats. I am licensed by the American Dairy Goat Association and have been continuously licensed since 1992 - yes that is 16 years of goatiness for me - BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE - I grew up on a dairy goat farm, drinking goat milk on my Cheerios and with dinner each night. Some very healthy stuff but also EXTREMELY fattening (not like the 1% I drink these days) so I'm sure it helped add to the bulk that is my ass these days. My next goat show is May 29th in Gainesville Florida - yippee! I'm getting an all expense paid weekend in Florida and my hotel has an outdoor but heated pool - so pray for sunshine in Gainesville! I'm going to take Friday off to travel and get there as early as I can so as to spend the afternoon lounging by the pool! And not leaving until Sunday evening for the same reasons. And yes in addition to paying all my expenses to get there and house me they do pay me a daily wage (set by me) as well. It's not really a money making proposition, I couldn't give up my day job and just judge full time but a few extra bucks here and there are always welcomed.
- I am a reality TV junkie - I know smart educated people are supposed to watch CNN and the Discovery Channel (at least the ones in my office do) and be well versed in every nuance of the upcoming election but I just can't seem to get interested when there's nothing I can do (on Feb 5th when the NY primaries are held - I'll be there and studied on my choices) about it now. But just ask me who got sent home on Biggest Loser last night - seriously ask me (pink team). Or what's going on with the American Idol tryouts - lots of really, really bad singers, very few worthy to go through IMO. Or how about which team won Amazing Race on Sunday's episode? Even catching a bit of Celebrity Apprentice even though I think that the concept is ludicrous. And Game Shows - I think I am indeed smarter than a 5th grader, and I know I could make some killer cash on Deal or No Deal BUT here is the biggest revelation of them all - I have a burning desire to be a contestant on Don't Forget the Lyrics with Wayne Brady! I just know I could do well on that show! I should try to be a contestant on Biggest Loser and whip this ass into shape - but I couldn't afford to take 4 months off work and be away from my husband and all the drama here (although it would be soooo good for me) and the idea of standing on a giant scale wearing a sports bra and bike shorts while millions saw my true weight - well it's terrifying.
- Strange eating habits - well I am not a picky eater - it's how I got these extra pounds I seem to cherish so and be unwilling to relinquish. But yes I do eat some things that other people may find gross - like Spaghettio's cold straight from the can. I learned this trick in college I think. I also will eat peanut butter on most anything - fruit, vegetable, with lunch meat - I adore peanut butter - everything is better with peanut butter on it. And thanks to Meghan's suggestion I now put peanut butter on waffles and pancakes. I don't mix peanut butter with Spaghettio's though a girl has to draw the line somewhere.
- Along the same lines as my mind numbing TV choices I also read trashy novels. I'm sure Redneck Romance Writer is glad to hear this. Give me a good old fashioned bodice ripper any day! My mom used to read these when I was a pre-teen and I'd smuggle books off her shelf and read them at night under my covers with a flashlight. I learned a lot this way. I still avoid serious reading 99% of the time and read Chick Lit or straight out romance novels. I think I've read most of Danielle Steele, Nora Roberts, and more. Definitely a huge fan of Jennifer Weiner and Jane Green, but I spend most of my Audible.com credits on Chick Lit - and I LOVE IT! These days most of my reading is actually read to my through earphones attached to my ipod 0r played over my car stereo - but my tastes have not changed. I'm going to stock up on some good bodice ripper fiction for my upcoming Florida trip for sure!
Now who to tag? That is the problem because I've only been blogging for 2 weeks and I've not made that many friends yet. But I'll give it a try - I'm going to tag Jennifer (because she has left me comments before) and SheildMaiden96 (because I like reading her blog), the third one I'm at a loss really the only people I might consider have already been tagged by someone else so I will plead my newbie status and say two is enough!
So there you have it - and I still have no clue what a meme is.