Saturday, January 12, 2008

Can I tell you how much I love my Dad?

My dad just may be the best man I will ever know. I know I'm a bit prejudiced - and to be completely honest he hasn't always been a good man - when I was a child he was not around much. He spent much of his time working or at the bar and many days he came home after I was asleep and was gone before I got up. No one can say he didn't work hard or provide for his family but he also drank a lot every day. But when I was around 11-12 I guess he just quit one day and started spending more time with his family. From that day on he started becoming the great dad he is today.

So what prompted me to go on about my dad today? I woke up this morning (quite late at 9am) to the sound of my dog barking. He was barking because there was noise outside and it was my dad with his ladder taking down my Christmas lights because it was warm today and pretty nice out and snow is coming on Monday. He put them up for me the end of November. Everytime it snows he comes and shovels out the end of my driveway where the plows heap the snow high and it tends to drift.

My dad has done nothing but help us since we moved here - he painted my living room, dining room, kitchen, hallway and main bathroom. He installed ceiling fans. He moved my washer and dryer to the basement. He has mowed my lawn, he built me flower boxes in front of my house, he helped spread out a load of stone delivered for the driveway. He fixed my plumbing and installed a new pressure tank. He's good at everything and just extremely handy and he takes care of his kids.

I'm not sure if we could keep our house running without my dad's help. My dad is the best. I think we're going to take him out to dinner tonight to thank him for all he's done for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dads rock. Mine always replaces stuff and cleans stuff and fixes stuff when he visits. We're sitting there, chit chatting, and all of a sudden he's cleaning my windows. He detailed my car last time. Hard to complain about that.