Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Decisions...

Apparently friends, in my new role at the office - the one I've had for all of 2 weeks - I have impressed people who hold titles like VP-Operations and President. Because of the aptitude I've shown I am being given a choice, I can stay on my current path of Account Management OR I can veer into a new path of Database Project Management. I don't have to decide right away, currently the two roles are lateral so it's not a promotion, just a different opportunity.

I'm flattered that they think I'm capable of this new role as it is much more technical and very detail oriented. I'm also not sure I want a job that requires me to be more detail oriented. I can be good at it but the reality I'm much more comfortable at big picture type scenarios. My VP is not trying to push me out, he thinks I'm doing a great job and will continue to grow and do a great job in my current role, he just wanted to give me options. I am sure that whichever direction I choose that I am secure in my place here.

So do I go with what is comfortable? A role where I will be valued without having to really stretch myself? Or do I choose the challenge? The one that will stretch my abilities? Comfort or Challenge.

I need to think on this for awhile - talk to the VP of Operations who's team I would move to and really see what the job would require and what type of career path I'm looking at there. My first instinct is to stay in my comfort zone, but that doesn't mean it's the right choice for me.

So friends, what do you think? What would you do in this situation?

7 comments:

B said...

which one pays better?

Tricia said...

They pay the same! :)

Anonymous said...

It's hard to say, for me the choice would be easy, but then I strongly prefer a role that's heavy skewed towards systems. With you, I've always gotten the impression you were much more a people person and wanted to do Marketing in it's old fashioned sense, lots of people, managing accounts, etc. Your idea of finding out more about the job and career path it would potentially put you on is a sound one. In the end though, it may or may not be that what is a new challenge is what is really right for you or your career path. If someone offered me a Buyer position (if I hadn't already been one), it would certainly be a new challenge, but just not where I ultimately want to be. As always with the big decisions in life, gut instinct after researching the facts is the deciding factor. Deciding to be what your heart tells you is where you really will be happiest, but also being strong in the other skillset, is certainly not a bad thing! Either way, the opportunity is a big compliment - congrats!

BRAINCHEESE said...

Hmmm...tough call. Make an inventory of what you need...really need to feel great...and then choose. If it's money, time, prestige, challenge, whatever. Oh, and say a little prayer of "thanks" that you HAVE choices! LOL

Linda D. in Seattle

Anonymous said...

I'm with Meghan- go with your heart, after you've let your head do some research.

I know that what I really need in a position is balance. My happiness depends on a good mixture of people work, computer work, and number crunching. I like having quiet lonely work to do when I'm feeling private and more social, gregarious responsibilities when I'm in a people mood. My fear would be that the systems thing would leave me unbalanced.

Tricia said...

Well the other position is still one with a lot of people contact because I would be the one dealing with clients to be able to communicate their needs to the real database/programmer types. The main difference is that a database project can have 250 steps to set up and is very complex where as the merge/purge projects I currently work on are much less complex overall.

I'm going to withhold judgment while I do some research.

Anonymous said...

Definitely research - I understand what you're saying, my position, while heavily skewed towards systems, financials, etc., certainly doesn't mean I don't go to Market in NYC and schmooze, have meetings all day, get significantly involved in product and vendors and so on, but it does mean I stay on my preferred career path and opt out of those things when I need or want to. I would say part of your research should be what the database position pays and means at other similar companies, what career path it puts you on long term, etc. You probably already know all this, I just feel strongly about cautioning you because I know from experience that being strong in a complementary category doesn't mean it's actually what fits your preferences and happiness best. And I don't mean to discourage you from it either, maybe it is indeed just what you would most love to do from here on out! Just listen to your gut after doing all the research and you'll be fine!